on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
Paint works wonders for adding color.

Now that the novelty of unpainted Ti is wearing off, lots of builders are painting them. Lots of customers too.

Personally, I like the low maintenance aspect of the bare metal. And when I ride mine to work (I work in da 'hood) only my painted bikes attract any attention. My plain, brushed Ti Litespeed is completely off the radar. Put the low maintenance and stealth appearance together along with the corrosion-resistance, and I'm planning for my next commuter to be plain, brushed Ti.

But if you like paint--whether wet or powder--then knock yourself out. It doesn't have to be boy-racer swoopy graphics, if that's not your style. Even a couple of painted panels will perk things up.

EDIT: Dave Anderson, a custom builder in St. Paul, works mainly in 953 stainless, but the same issues apply. It doesn't need paint and lots of them are never painted. He perks them up with painted forks, headtubes and panels.

Other suggestions are colored hubs, rims and tires.
I like the panel idea. Thanks tsl! That is sharp.

Originally Posted by knobster
My wifes bike is a painted titanium.

We were talking about it today and if the paint starts looking poor in the next few years, she's going to have the paint removed and go with the polished titanium that's under the paint.

Mine (Airborne Carpe Diem) is the typical titanium bike which I like it not having paint since I'm planning on using it for lots of dirt road riding which tends to do a number on paint finishes.
I like this idea too. Thank you knobster! I never thought of myself as a Ti guy. Honestly, it's because of the color. I despise grey. The world is full of vibrant colors. Why not pick a few that are appealing and express oneself?