View Single Post
Old 08-23-21, 08:55 AM
Bulette

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Please don't take offense, there has to be some cutoff. Ragbrai doesn't meet the one we set, which is a century in one day. But it's not like I moved the thread to General Cycling or anything. Even though it might have gotten the OP more useful information.
Five miles is a long distance endurance ride for a lot of people. I know, I have been there. But that's not what this particular forum is about.
I would be disappointed if we, as a sub-forum, thought we had nothing of value to offer RAGBRAI participants. While the 'official' training guides only encourage folks to build up to 70-80 mile rides, I'd say most participants are comfortable on (and have completed) one or more 100-mile rides. As for, "How does one do the Ragbrai?", I'd encourage anyone to read through and keep up-to-date with the general advice floating around here for long-rides -- bike fit, equipment choices, nutrition, and training.

(Add to that, the original John Karras envisioned at least one century ride during the week -- hence the optional Karras Loop century day. While I can't say it's required, there is a certain appreciation among and respect for those who tackle it.)