Thread: Gloves off?
View Single Post
Old 11-08-21, 03:40 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10414 Post(s)
Liked 11,875 Times in 6,082 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I only ride with gloves in the cold and what I notice is that I unconsciously squeeze the bars harder with my hands to make up for the lack of feel of direct contact--it feels like my hands are less secure. My hands are definitely more tired after a gloved ride.
My brother used to work in Ergonomcs and Human Factors, and he mentioned to me that gloves frequently exacerbate problems, for exactly that reason - you don't get the tactile feedback, so you grip harder.

I wear gloves no matter what temp, but I only wear unpadded ones. Every padded glove I've ever worn hurt worse than no gloves at all. Setting the bike up properly works, too. I'm currently working on getting the fit just right on a bike I recently acquired, and little things like a small adjustment in saddle angle, or saddle setback, make big differences in how much pressure is on the hands.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey: