View Single Post
Old 04-09-21, 10:44 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Tires, my spare tire if I carry one is lightweight and intended to be good enough to get me to a bike shop, not a heavy replacement.

A couple years ago I picked up another spare tire at a swap meet, someone had a very lightweight folding 700c cycloross tire, small knobs, 33mm width for a cheap price. While the knobs would not be ideal for pavement, it is only 290 grams and that is ideal. When I am touring on 700c, I usually do not carry a spare because I likely am close to bike shops. Most of the times I carry a spare are on a 26 inch bike as I am more likely to use a bike with those wheels if I am more remote and far from bike shops. Then I have a 430 gram spare in 26 inch, which is about two thirds of the weight of one of the tires that are on the bike.

Originally Posted by gauvins
...Two questions for now : (1) which Snowpeak mug is this? (300ml?); (2) in your experience, what do you gain from your folding wind screen?...
The mug in the lower right corner of the photo in the previous post is Snowpeak 450ml. The other mug (single wall, red handles) is Evernew 400 ml, that nests outside my 450 mug.

That windscreen sits pretty low and I only use it if it is pretty windy. In less wind I am more likely to use a pannier or something like that as a windscreen.

In the photo, using a pannier and an Ortlieb Rack Pack as wind breaks. Heating water in the 400 ml mug to have a cup of tea in my 450mm (insulated) mug.

That smaller windscreen only gets used when I need more wind protection than my other stuff provides.

I also bought the lid (optional) for the 450ml mug, photo below. The plastic on the handles on the 400 ml Evernew mug is very close to the flame on the stove, I have to be extremely careful to avoid burning that.

A lot of this stuff that nests is trial and error. The plastic bottle for my instant coffee, I have had that bottle for over 40 years, was quite lucky to find it nests perfectly in the Snow Peak mug. And that mug fits in the wider and flatter Evernew mug.

My Evernew titanium cooking pot, the bowl is MSR and nests perfectly inside, the fry pan was $6 USD at Ikea and I had to drill the rivets out, but that fry pan nests perfectly in the MSR bowl. The ziplock over the fry pan is to protect the non-stick coating.