View Single Post
Old 04-11-21, 12:32 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
The autopsy is finished and the patient died of blunt force trauma. Yes this frame is toast. It's actually rather interesting in how the various bends and dents are.

First and most obvious is the main frame and the rear end are both bent in the same direction, banana like. This is odd to me and I've tried to imagine the way that happened as I only know of the ground (a 45ish* slope I was tumbling/sliding down), the tree (that stopped the fall, about 25' down the slope from the trail) and me (which remained relatively centered on the bike during the fall). I ended still straddling the bike with it's crankset against the tree's base, a notch taken out of the tree about 3' up from it's base. It's possible that on one of the tumbles when the bike contacted the ground both ends were on raised points of the slope so my weight was the force that made this banana like bend along the bike's length. Then with the last tumble the bike's crank hit the tree 3' up it. Or when I fell that last 3' onto the tree's base the ends of the bike were higher then where I was. Either way the bike got a significant side loading.

Next was the crank's being so bent up. This is an easy one what with the tree's scar and some wood still stuck in the rings. The spider arm tab got folded over and that ring bolt head cracked. This is the only component damage that I found other then the slightly loosened headset.

I have mentioned the rear seatstay yoke and the chainstay bends. I've confirmed both. The chainstays could be realigned to have symmetrical dog legging at the scallops, given the rest of the damage I don't know if I'll recycle these stays.

Not initially seen was the killing blow. The down tube has a nasty ripple just above the BB fillet and on the RH side of the frame. This is a compression failure and I attribute the very localized nature of it to having done a few heat cycles for too long as I "worked" the fillet. This is perhaps my biggest take a way. I need to get better at laying down a fillet the first time and not feel the need to revisit it to make it look better.

An interesting dent in on the DT's underside about even where the crankset's damage was. There's a lengthwise dent from the cable casing getting pushed on. If this were a chain stay I would say it was an attractive clearance crimp if a bit shallow for one.

I set the centering gage squarely on the ST bottom. The DT ripple is evident too.

At the ST top end. This amount of offness isn't too bad and maybe about twice what it was pre crash.

Same gage height at the HT end. That's a lot of change as this was also maybe 1mm off before.

And also a big movement at the drop outs. When I place a straight edge along the chain stays' sides the dog leg bends are no where symmetrical anymore.

Great view of the DT ripple above the BB shell.

Out of focus view of the DT underside casing dent.

What was too hard to photograph is the DT just below the HT. There seems to be some slight bending of the DT there, again more along the sides then top or borrom. No real ripple but what looks to be a change in the finish running around part of the DT's circumference. The color/surface change looks similar to the above BB ripple and a straight edge suggests some surface "bowing" in the lasy 1/2" of the DT.

Given all I now see I won't be trying to repair this frame and even question the recycling of the chainstays and drop outs. I suspect if I were to cut out all the tubes and roll them on my surface plate I would see some bowing or other stress results that are currently not easily seen. I'll order new drop outs (Paragon has then back in stock as of last night) and try to find a suitable set of chain stays with a dog leg bend. I have one more shell in 73mm x 1 9/16" diameter (heavy wall compared to the usual 1 1/2" diameter). Seatstays should be on hand but I haven't checked my stash of main frame tubes. The fork is fine and still measures as straight so it will be reused. I see I need to up my fillet game to reduce the yield strength loss of the tubes adjacent to the fillets

When this all begins again I'll start a new thread, it will be a while though. Thanks all for the looking at and contributing to what's been a real learning experience and eye opener for me. Andy