Old 04-13-21, 06:10 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by alo

I avoid fats. You can't lose fat while consuming significant amounts of fat. I avoid, meat, dairy, fried foods and bread. I avoid manufactured and processed foods. I eat fruits, vegetables, grains and nuts.

That (plus yogurt and cheese; both of which I stopped in recent years) was my diet as a full on bike racer. 350 miles/week, 45 miles before breakfast most days. Now I was light; still am. I ate like a horse. But that diet worked really, really well! I am back to it now as a late 60 yo. Tweaked to feature the omega 3s which weren't in the conversation back then. (I do now eat small amounts of fatty/omega 3 fish regularly.)

Oh, back then I also stayed away from white powders. The illicit, sucrose aka white sugar, white flour (especially bleached) and salt. Didn't have a way of measuring salt intake but I think it was around 1000 mg/day. In this country, very low. My sweat wasn't salty and did not sting in my eyes. (Racing benefit - I didn't excrete significant amounts of sodium on really hot days. I liked those races because the competition got slower! Still had to address potassium with those banana pills or ERG sport drink; now called Vitalyte).

Another plus of these diets. They don't induce cravings. So reducing intake (say because I have to spend some time off the bike) isn't hard. Yes I have to re-calibrate my appetite, but I don't see sugar withdrawal and the like/
Likes For 79pmooney: