Old 08-04-22, 10:16 AM
newbert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
What exactly were you looking for in a trike when you first went to test ride them? Did you purchase the Catrike Villager e-version (eCAT) with the Bosch e-assist?

I'm not a user of e-assist on my Catrike 700 so what I say here comes from looking at the Catrike website. First, the Villager was designed as a high seating trike for those who can not get up out of a low seating trike. The big sacrifice I see with going to the eCAT is a great reduction in the gear range. The standard Villager with 20" drive wheel, 30/39/52 chainring, and 10 speed 11/36 cassette has a 15.9 to90.1 gear inch range. The eCAT has a single 44 tooth chainring and a wider range 11//42 tooth cassette. The specs do not list a gear range but you can calculate one at https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html. It is going to be different and with many fewer choices to get a comfortable cadence. I guess the electric motor makes up for that. The standard villager with shipping is $2825. The eCAT is $5,500 with shipping. It is definitely not an entry level trike. Unfortunately shipping a trike is not cheap, especially as an individual rather than as a business. That means you will probably be looking for a local buyer. The more expensive the trike, the harder it is to resell. Second owners don't get a warranty so getting back what you put in to it will not be likely. Test riding other models is a great idea. Don't feel bad about maybe not getting the right trike on the first try. I bought an expensive trike (at the time) from a well known manufacturer and realized after a few months that it was a big and costly mistake. The second trike, a used Greenspeed GTO, was exactly what I wanted and needed. I used it for 9 years and many thousands of miles. Live and learn.
Well, to answer your questions: I was pretty sure that I would do a lot of triking when I was shopping for my first trike. I definitely wanted e-assist because I live in a pretty hilly area. Didn't want to sit too low because of the start of some mobility issues. (Exercise was prescribed for me and triking seemed to fit the bill nicely since I have some mild balance issues.) All-in-all, the Villager has met my needs, but perhaps not all my wants (which I didn't know Iad).. My choice of e-assist at the trike shop was Bosch or eBikeKit. Thet are very different. As you said, with Bosch you lose some gearing, there's no throttle, and it was quite a bit more expensive. With eBikeKit, the motor is on the rear hub and I retained all of my gearing and got a throttle and saved some $$$.

AFter buying the Villager, I read about torque-based e-motors and thought that might be better for someone like me who was an inconsistent, less-than-smooth pedal stroke. With the cadence based eBikeKit, I just often find myself between gears and power levels. So I thought that a torque-based motor might be better for me. Is my assumption correct?

Another option I'm considering is changing out the front gearing to something larger. I'm finding that I'm almost always in the largest front gear and only occasionally in the middle gear. I never use the smallest gear. - But I'll leave my specific questions about gearing in a separate thread.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Likes For newbert: