Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by scottfsmith
It is more that there are reports of specific cases of aFib with creatine, e.g. https://accpjournals.onlinelibrary.w...25.5.762.63580 is one, and I found some others. So it is not common but arises in some people it appears. I'm going to take a break for awhile and see if I stop getting the events or not. I looked pretty hard and found zilch for HMB causing any heart issues.

I don't actually know what is off with my heart, these aFibs are just from the Apple Watch. I think it could in fact be skipped or extra beats. It seems to be correlated with dehydration and heart stress (not during exercise but after). I wore a Holter Monitor and nothing major came up. I saw one electrophysiologist a few months ago and I am seeing an expert next month.
What does the watch show? When I've ridden with people who'd aFib, they see a sudden rise in HR, like from a normal 130 on a climb to 175, which rate their heart will not normally beat, so it's just well, aFib. When they stop riding and rest, the diplayed HR drops to normal levels. That said, there are folks who have it really bad and they just fib all the time, but of course they can't ride anymore. Checking one's wrist is a good thing. If it's an irregular beat, like PVC's, you'll feel it in your pulse. If it's aFib, your HRM will show this crazy high beat, but you won't feel that super rapid beat in your wrist. I think "extra beats" is called PVC, but I'm not a cardiologist, I just know several of them by now.

That link refers to an association, which is meaningless. Causation is a completely different thing. There are millions of people who take creatine, the most studied supplement there is. That said, its effect is relatively subtle, a matter of a few percentage points. I don't think you'll miss it.

Holters are old tech now. I just mailed in a Zio XT monitor: https://www.irhythmtech.com/provider...e/zio-monitors
I won't know if it showed anything for a couple weeks. I get a nuclear treadmill stress test on the 21st of this month. Maybe that'll be interesting, maybe not. My issue is that I had a syncope event while riding my rollers. Upset my wife no end. Trying to figure out why. My Garmin was recording and showed a steady HR. In the meantime, I'm limited to riding rollers in our shop and going to the gym.