View Single Post
Old 11-23-22, 12:26 PM
tessellahedron

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by McCycle
Nice axle, I would have taken it back to the shop by now, but way out of the way.
I think you're passing up a great opportunity. Getting the right cones seems like the hardest part. Can you leave your wheel at the shop and tell them to call you when they have it sorted out and ready for pickup?

They might be able to return it to you fully reassembled with a new axle, cones and bearing balls. I'd pay at least $30 or $40 for that. If you add in gas money and it's over $50 I'd probably just replace the wheel for $60 though.

bicas.org !!!
There's a nonprofit in Tucson where donated bikes are disassembled. I haven't been there in 15 years but they used to have a large basement that was nearly full of crates of parts, all greasy and used but functional. I can't imagine needing a part for an old bike and not finding it there. The problem is getting there. I've heard there's nothing like that even in Denver but it's worth checking your area.

I welded up the frame for sheldon brown's tandem at home but all the other parts and labor came from that basement. (For $1 per part! )