View Single Post
Old 04-17-08, 01:47 PM
Oldpeddaller

Bikes: 1970 Holdsworth Mistral, Vitus 979, Colnago Primavera, Corratec Hydracarbon, Massi MegaTeam, 1935 Claud Butler Super Velo, Carrera Virtuoso, Viner, 1953 Claud Butler Silver Jubilee, 1954 Holdsworth Typhoon, 1966 Claud Butler Olympic Road, 1982 Claud

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
When refurbing an ancient pair of Mafac "Racer" centre-pull brakes for my 1970 road bike restoration ( I bought a pair of these brakes new back in '72 - wish I'd kept 'em!) everything was good & polished but the thin red plastic washers that go behind the pivot bolt heads were missing. I couldn't find any on the web or at any bike shops, so decided to make some. I remembered the originals on my previous set were made of slippery soft plastic that damped the vibration from the brake arms & let them move freely. Fibre washers won't do & anything but red is wrong. I found 2 steel washers the right diameter & bore and a nut & bolt that fitted them. Cut down the lids of 4 empty Fairy liquid bottles to leave a rough disc larger than the steel washers. Threaded one steel washer on the bolt then the plastic discs then a steel washer & the nut & tightened it. Placed the shank of the bolt in an electric drill and gently sanded the plastic down to the edge of the steel washers with fine grade emery paper. Hey presto! A set of perfect repacement washers, even the right colour and material. They work great and look genuine. This idea might work for other components with similar parts and it's free!