Old 01-28-21, 09:14 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
Help me with my tire selection for 300k-400ks...

I'm trying to figure out a 700c tubeless road tire in 35-38mm width? I want to ride some 200 mile, maybe even 240 mile rides; I've done a couple 150 mile rides on my gravel bike with 37mm wtb riddlers. They had worn to a smooth center on the rear, but compared to my previous experience on 25mm GP4KsII they felt smoother and not a lot slower. Maybe 2-3mph slower on short rides? I had nearly the same speed over 120 miles on both, 14 vs 16 mph.

I'm having a hard time deciding between 35, 38mm? I'd probably do about 10 miles of gravel so I think I'll stay above 32mm. I'll have two wheelsets, and I already have gravel king SK 38mm for off road so I'm leaning more towards a dedicated slick over the continental terra tires or even the gravel king SS.

My route would be decent and relatively debris clear two lane roads for 20% then the rest on rail trails. I would say no mud to worry about.

I've though about:
  • Gravel king slick, non protection
  • Gravel king SS, non protection
  • Soma supple vitesse sl k
  • Rene Herse standard casing barlow pass/bon jon
  • Schwalbe G one speed
I've read some tire threads on here and I understand I can get 100 different answers so I'm really curious to hear your comparisons. Like have you ridden multiple sizes of the gravel king and what differences have you felt? Should I consider 32mm? Thanks again!