View Single Post
Old 07-26-22, 02:33 PM
amedias

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 38 Posts
I've used both casing types in numerous sizes from 26mm up to 42mm for quite a few years now, the extralights *are* better/comfier than standard casing but the standard casing are 'more better' than most other tyres out there so I only use the extralights on my audax/rando rides when it's either going to be very long (over 300KM) or very rough, otherwise standard casing is my default choice now.

I've not noticed any more punctures with the EL casing, and in general (touches wood) I've had fewer punctures with Compass/RH tyres than any other brand over about ~15-20,000KM worth of use, I even use them on my winter SS bike which gets ridden in all sorts of filth and crappy roads of South West England and they've been reliable, comfy and fast.

They are however expensive, very expensive, (but then so are other really good tyres), the biggest problem I've found with using them is that now whenever I ride a bike without them it feels rubbish, and I want to fit them. They have genuinely turned me into a tyre snob :-(

If you want 90% of the speed with 75% of the comfort at 50% of the price then Panaracer Gravel king slicks are my next favourite.
The Gand Bois offerings are also pretty damn good, and much much cheaper, even bough direct from japan and paying shipping, although I normally source them from a shop in the Netherlands.
I'm also very fond of Challenge tyres (the open tubular casing ones, not vulcanised), but they're also expensive, not quite as fast, not quite as comfy and a bit heavier, so for me it's easier to justify spending the extra on RH.
Likes For amedias: