Old 09-27-22, 09:31 PM
arbee

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by a_d_a_m
though I’d like a flat 30-40.
Suggested in indyfabz's (and Steve B's) replies: consider outbound east from New Paltz to the Walkway Over the Hudson, return west by the same route as far as Lloyd, then north-northwest (eventually) to Rosendale, north on the WVRT as far as you please (but at least as far as Joppenbergh Mountain immediately north of the trestle bridging Rondout Creek), then back to New Paltz on whatever combination of the WVRT and CR 7 (Springtown Rd) pleases you.

Details and completely subjective suggestions: east from New Paltz, the new-ish segment of the Hudson Valley Rail Trail adjacent to NY 299 is ... unedifying ... until you get to Lloyd. For this segment, I suggest from Ohioville (west of I 87 / NY Thruway) use Old Route 299 / New Paltz Rd, which is north of NY 299. There's a dog-leg intersection where New Paltz Rd crosses NY 299. There's a traffic light at the eastern part of this dog-leg to help you cross NY 299.

Just a bit east of NY 299 on New Paltz Rd, there's access on the south side of the road to the Hudson Valley Rail Trail. Continue east to the Walkway Over the Hudson. In good weather on a weekend, you'll be greeted by a large crowd.

Head back the way you came. A bit east of where you joined the trail eastbound in Lloyd, there's a small park (Tony Williams Town Park). Exit the trail here, head north on S Riverside Rd (CR 15) about .3mi, make a sharp left onto Weeds Mill Rd and a quick right onto Lily Lake Rd (no signs).

Cross NY 299. Continue northwest 2.2mi on Lily Lake Rd to a "T" intersection.

Left on Hawleys Corners Rd (no sign) / N Elting Corners Rd / Black Creek Rd (same road; only the name changes) for 1.2mi.

Right on Plutarch Rd for 1.2 mi.

Left on Weston Rd (becomes Martin Sweedish Rd) for 2.2 miles to "T" intersection.

Left on Old Post Rd (CR 16) no sign. Shortly, Old Post Rd (CR 16) bears right / north. Instead, continue forward (west) on Dashville Rd downhill ... and then very steeply downhill ... to a somewhat complicated "T" intersection with NY 213. Dead ahead is the Wallkill River; also, a small hydroelectric plant.

Left on NY 213. Immediately east of NY Thruway is Perrine's Bridge which is an old wooden covered bridge. The historic sign notes it was built in 1844 by Benjamin Wood. It's ... truly ... a wooden bridge; can't make this stuff up.

West of the north side of Perrine's Bridge, there's a *VERY* unpaved northbound ... goat-track ... that connects to the stub of River Road on the east side of NY 32. Or, to get to River Road, continue west on NY 213, then right (north) on NY 32 / NY 213, and left (west) on River Road. It's about 1¼ miles to Springtown Rd (CR 7).

As I mentioned in my first reply, if you continue west from Springtown Rd, River Rd passes under the WVRT. Access is possible but difficult; ask me how I know. I suggest heading north on Springtown Rd / Elting Rd about 1.8 miles to a "T" with Keator Av / Mountain Rd. A left and a quick right puts you on the WVRT at the trestle over Rondout Creek. Or, head downhill and noodle your way into Rosendale for lunch or whatever.

Last edited by arbee; 09-27-22 at 09:44 PM.
Likes For arbee: