View Single Post
Old 09-08-22, 03:36 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1282 Post(s)
Liked 1,399 Times in 713 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I agree that cassette looks a bit battered, but I'd really go by symptoms. With a new chain, can you force the chain to skip? Standing on the pedals?

If I have mild skipping on one sprocket, I'll often continue using for one more chain.

Keep in mind that one has the pulling side of the teeth and the non pulling side of the teeth.

So, on the top of the cassette, the left side of a tooth would be pulling, and the right side would be the non-pulling side.

So, if that non-pulling side looks completely smashed, that may well have been how it was from the factory.

I tend to look more at the shape of the valleys. So, just the opposite, the right side of the valley is pulling, and the left is non-pulling.

Looking for elongation of the valleys, or less crisp verticals on the left side of the teeth. Also smashing of the face of the teeth.

Anyway, if the cassette shifts fine and doesn't skip, I'd probably keep riding.

Also, as the chain wears a little bit, it may start shifting better.
thanks!

i can't consistently force it to skip, but it does skip (with the new chain) occasionally on the 11t. shifts very smoothly and crisply, and if i stand on it in the 11 it won't be a guaranteed skip - the situation which seems more likely to trigger is a quick bang start from coasting at speed. skips once or twice then stays tight, even for fairly hard pulls from there. it does seem to have improved in the last 20 miles.

Originally Posted by Iride01
While a chain slipping on the cogs might be a indication that they are worn, it's not a done deal. Are you certain that your DR is fully shifting to the 11 tooth cog? Other things like a ever so slightly bent hangar or such might need to be looked at. Or just swap with a friend or a friendly LBS mechanic that probably has one or two laying around already that he/she has been using. Then you might know better if that's the reason.

The teeth don't look that much different than the picture of a new CS-R9200.
good point - the cassette appears to have two oddly shaped teeth out of the box, both of which have their leading edges beveled and scalloped out in profile. pretty sure the RD is still aligned and working well, the shifts are super quick and smooth in and out of every cog and it doesn't look bent in any way. no contact with the ground lately!

i'm going to switch to a new cassette tomorrow, and if it still skips occasionally, i'll put the old one back on and keep the new one in reserve for when it's really worn. i wanted to have one in reserve anyway since they've occasionally been very hard to find in the 11-34.