View Single Post
Old 07-07-20, 04:16 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
GreatScott,
OK you caught me. I lied about my 1300 miles and counting.
I actually work for a manufacturer of tubeless tires and sealant.
My bonus relies upon me promoting sales of the trash.

Barry
I wasn't saying that you in particular, what I was meaning to say was tubeless in general, kind of like on occasion someone with tube tires hasn't gotten a flat in 1,300 miles as you've said, I've actually gone quite a bit further than that on tube tire without a flat, but if I get one tomorrow I'm hunting you down!! But I hear how flat free tubeless tires are from various cycling online magazines and that's the BS I was calling tubeless out on because it doesn't match the rear world experiences, which is why people are carrying around at least one spare tube.

On my previous touring bike I went about 1,800 miles without a flat, on my current one I'm at 586 without a flat, on my regular road bike I'm at 2,200 and some odd miles without a flat; on my older road bike I'm at around 500 miles without a flat. Of course I'm not using Specialized Turbo Cotton racing tires either, but todays tube tires are far better at warding off flats then they were just 10 years ago. Of course on my old touring bike I was using Schwalbe Marathon Greenguard tires, on my current touring bike I'm using the factory stock Kenda Drumlin tires, not sure how good these tires will be but so far so good in the flat department but they're heavy as hell. On my regular road bike and my older one I use Specialized Roubaix tires, which I really like those tires. But I wore out a set of Vittoria Rubino Pro tires and never got a flat till the cord just started to peak through then had a flat, that was the tires before I got the Specialized tires, and that's the last flat I've had.

Sorry if it sounded like I was calling your experience BS, I was trying to refer to tubeless in general.