View Single Post
Old 07-26-20, 03:38 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by stevel610
You could try a few points of rubber cement for the tire liners. Also you might try covering the ends of the liners with duct tape. They can rub a hole in the tube.
As far as the valve stem, remove one side of the tire and straighten. You will wind up doing it on the road when it causes a flat. Its easier to do at home.
I've had good luck for several years with "Mr. Tuffy" tire liners on my folding commuter bike. No problems with the ends causing flats, though there would seem to be no down-side to using a little duct tape.
I place 1" sections of double-sided foam tape rated for "outdoor" use at regular intervals (8 pieces in all for a 20" tire). I use these on my "winter" bike because the studs on the tires eventually wear through the kevlar belts in the tire carcass and cause flats. These liners are extremely tough and get me an extra season or two from the tires; I haven't had a flat in years.