View Single Post
Old 05-12-21, 08:42 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
I use mechanic's grease with PTFE. It's cheap, so I use it for everything. If I buy expensive specialized bike grease I believe I would miser it.
I once used white grease (lithium?), but found that it dried out
I'll add this caveat:

All cyclists and bike shops should seriously reconsider their use of PTFE/Teflon and any related compounds. Recently, I finally gave in and was going to give submersion chain wax a try and ordered a pound of it on Amazon. Right after it arrived, I watched the movie "Dark Waters." Although this movie is obviously a dramatization, it's still an excellent cautionary tale about our chemical industry. The issue is obviously complex, but it's clear we afford the chemical industry free reign when it comes to development and releasing their products to market with minimal oversight.

The freshly-ordered PTFE-infused wax will not be getting used!

I stopped using Teflon pans probably two decades ago. No way should we be heating, cooking and preparing our food on this stuff. These compounds do not biodegrade; they accumulate and stay in your body.

I also recently read about the discovery of PTFE in our protected water sheds. It turns out that downhill & back country skiers are using ski waxes with PTFE and it scrubs off and ends up in our snow. Our water supply. So although wilderness areas are protected and considered "pristine," we're depositing all sorts of complex chemical compounds in our "cleanest" places. I'd prefer cyclists not add to and further the damage. And yes, I realize TriFlo has had Teflon or related products in it for years.

But shouldn't we draw the line somewhere? Shouldn't we simply agree that these compounds shouldn't be introduced into every wild place we frequent? (They shouldn't be in ANY places, for that matter!) I think it's time to assume some responsibility and just say no to these toxic substances.

Thanks for taking this into consideration.
Likes For LV2TNDM: