View Single Post
Old 10-12-21, 11:16 AM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
I'm 25 years younger than you, and also never had an illness to worry about, but 2 years ago I was diagnosed with Stage 4 Lung Cancer which at the time had already metastasized to my lymph and spine, and with tumors so large that they collapsed the upper lobe of my left lung for 2 weeks, and got me a stint in the ICU for the first of those two weeks, wondering if I'd ever make it out alive. Then 6 months ago it spread to my brain, with eleven 1-2mm tumors already treated up there with localized radiation. Even with these major setbacks from treatments, meds, and recovery time (rinse/repeat), and the loss of fitness that comes with those setbacks, since my initial diagnosis I've recovered and trained enough to climb Mt Evans in Colorado twice (the highest paved road in North America, and 3rd highest in the world), have done 2-3 imperial centuries, and have ridden about 6,000 miles total since initial diagnosis. I now have the cancer in a management condition taking a single pill every day for the rest of my life. Modern medicine is a wonderful thing!! I just try to keep my spirits up and keep doing as much riding as I can, while I can. The fact you're still riding at 74 means you're way ahead of the curve, and an inspiration to many of us.
You are the inspiration! That is one amazing story!
Likes For Artmo: