Old 10-26-21, 11:03 AM
stevenlsmith87

Bikes: NONE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
Definitely stay away from a Walmart bike as the quality is so low you will not enjoy it. Good entry level bikes include the Salsa Journeyer, the Jamis Renegade S4 and the Giant Revolt Aluminum. I'd recommend staying with at least 9 speeds as the 8 speed drivetrains only save a small amount of money are are a big step down in performance. Then buy really good tires on to replace the cheap entry level rubber that comes on inexpensive bikes and enjoy! Central PA has great gravel opportunities, especially above I80.
Honestly, the only reason I even thought about a WalMart bike was for the fact that most of my riding starting out will be on a Rails To Trails, or very similar type roads. Not much climbing at all. I just was looking for something that I took out once a week (maybe) to see if I even like it, and to build a base as I mix it in with my running. I totally get it though about them being super cheap and messing with my perception of if I am going to like being on a bike or not. All the fitness hybrids I had in the past were flat bar, and I wanted something to kinda give me the feel of drop too.

I may just have to keep running and keep saving and just go for it around spring next year.