Old 11-05-21, 10:49 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4378 Post(s)
Liked 3,013 Times in 1,863 Posts
Want to know what to wear in the cold? Experiment. Take Notes

This subforum has lots of threads asking for advice about what to wear on hands, feet, heads, legs, torso in the cold weather.

Those of us with some experience riding in the cold usually try to be helpful, but advice is cheap, right? And everybody is different.

So to all those who are wondering what will work, I suggest that you (a) experiment and (b) take notes.

I have all kinds of winter cycling kit that's accumulated over the years. Some has worked, some hasn't. What works at 25*F may not work at 15*F. Where's the threshold where I need to change from one arrangement to the next? I'll know because at one point I went for a ride with certain gear and came back with frozen fingers or an overly sweaty core or.... And when I did, I took notes.

Every autumn, as it gets colder, I consult those notes. As soon as I'm shifting from full-on summer kit, I'm thinking about the thresholds (for me) of when I need light full fingered gloves (below 60°F), and then padded gloves (below the low 50s) and then padded gloves with glove liners (about 40 *F) and then lobster claws with liners (somewhere in the high 20s), and bar mitts (below 20). and bar mitts with Hot Hands (below 10*F).

I don't have this memorized for every part of the kit. Over the summer, I will forget which arrangement worked under which conditions. Therefore.....notes.