View Single Post
Old 12-10-21, 07:07 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by robertj298
I have to apologize for those I offended with my French bike post. I really didn't mean
to offend anyone. I just wanted to see how fanatic French bike owners were and see
photos of the various models. It seemed to work by the replies. Oh and to one the member who
likes to troll all my posts to bring up any errors a new guy like me makes and even goes
to the trouble of keeping track of my post count , this is post 342.
It was a valid call out IMO and I am a fan of French bikes, Motobecane, Peugeot, Gitane and plenty others, all fantastic but can be a very slippery slope for the unaware, especially if things go south, stuck BB, SP, stem, lack of proper tools and understanding, skill, etc. the road to H**L if it gets the better of you.

Last Frenchie that I had fun with was a pretty rough PX-10 with generic 9/16 pedals forced way in, had to cut the cages off to get at the spindles with vise grips, massaged and chased the threads back to good so I can use a set of French Campy SR pedals I have on it. BB had a standard DS cup forced halfway in and the puller threads didn't want to let the TA or Stronglight puller in. Again, got it all apart after massaging the puller threads, massaged, scribed and chased the BB threads and installed a correct Stronglight cup and all is fine.

I knew all this going in and still paid a bit too much but it is a big one, Nervex lugs, Simplex SP, cable clips, shifters, original HS and hubs all in great shape so....
Likes For merziac: