Thread: Touring-curious
View Single Post
Old 12-15-21, 05:48 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
You have backpacked, so you have light weight camping gear and you know how to camp with it.

Some people on this forum carry less on their bike than a typical backpacker would carry. And some people carry a lot more.

The bike you want is one that can carry your gear, and you, and be comfortable for long days in the saddle, and can climb steep hills, and is extremely reliable. So, think about how much gear you want to carry. That will tell you what you need for a bike.

All that said, generally for touring you want lower gears than stock on most bikes. So, that is another factor to consider, sometimes increasing gear range on a bike is costly enough that a different bike might make sense. I did not research the bikes you cited, I have no idea what their gearing is like. Maybe they are good enough?

I know I did not answer your question, but I gave you a few other questions to ponder instead. A lot of people went out and bought what they thought would be the perfect bike, only to learn that it was deficient in one way or another. Think about the big picture, how much gear, how steep are the hills?

My light touring bike has 37mm wide tires and fenders. My medium touring bike is used with 40 to 50mm wide tires, and fenders. My heavy duty touring bike uses 57mm wide tires. My lowest gear on two of these three bikes is roughly 20 gear inches. That said, there are people that will tour on 32mm tires, and if extremely light weight maybe 28mm.

How big was your pack for backpacking? Were you one of the minimalists with a 25 liter pack or did you carry something more like a 60 liter pack? These are the kinds of things to consider when trying to consider how much gear you are putting on a bike.