Old 09-06-19, 08:42 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by gazer
Hey there!

PBP is a completely different animal. To semi-quote another poster somewhere, PBP is a rolling party, other brevets are an adventure. Maybe a bit like RAGBRAI with stricter time limits and far longer distances.

Terrain was more difficult than our M&C 1200k and LOL 1000k last year. Headwinds maybe similar to LOL.

I'm still processing my first PBP, as it was admittedly a bit overwhelming. The shear scale of it. The unbelievable support one received by local residents along the entire route. No describing how far you were riding in what time period to shocked passers-by. Instead, those passers-by understood completely what you were up to and offered encouraging words or more. I stopped for coffee at 4am the first two nights at roadside stands and was flabbergasted by the support. The stop at Villaines-la-Juhel on the return was mind blowing.

Logistics a bit more up to the rider than M&C, but more readily available than LOL which made the combination a great preparation. Given the evening (90 hr) start and relative flexibility of where to sleep, I finished much faster than M&C. In hindsight, I could have slept more, but honestly didn't need to.

So yes, charter that boat for 2023. I'll meet you there.
Thanks, yeah, you're kinda putting it in context for me. Both LOL and M&C had headwinds galore, in case you've forgotten! And neither one was quite flat... damn close, but but quite flat.