Thread: Coffee
View Single Post
Old 08-24-22, 06:07 AM
poprad

Bikes: 07 Vanilla, 98 IRD road frame built up with 25th Ann DA, Surly cross check with 105 comp, 78 Raleigh Comp GS, 85 Centurionelli

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by branko_76
I walked into the chowhall aboard the USS Nashville while off the coast of Beirut to get a cup of coffee. The two embarked Marine mess cooks were cleaning up and said the chowhall was closed. I said I just wanted a cup of coffee so one of 'em said okay, go for it. I grabbed a cup and filled it from the urn. As I took my first sip, I see these two jarheads snickering at me as my face contorted from the foul tasting muck that was sitting at the bottom of the urn which probably hadn't been cleaned since the ship was commissioned.
Was it the "normal" or "Midwatch" urn? During my time at sea I only accidentally sampled the Midwatch sludge once. I can still remember the foul taste...

If I recall correctly I was in a Marine Amphib Ready Group with the Trashville back in '91 off the coast of Liberia on our way to Desert Storm. From the decks of the LST USS Fairfax County that looked like a smooth and comfy ride for sure...
Likes For poprad: