View Single Post
Old 11-07-22, 11:45 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 477 Times in 279 Posts
Originally Posted by Senathon
When buying a bike from craigslist, what should I look for? I am trying to find a used gravel bike but unsure what to look for. I do know how to fit the bike and taking a test ride but that is as far a I know.

Also I don't want to overpspend on a bike that is not worth buying.
You are looking for the hottest bike category in what has been for the last 3 years a sellers market. Adding to this challenge, at least in my market, Craigslist is a mess of overpriced dysfunctional obsolete stolen junk. 95% of the postings are for what should be landfill. At least half of the bikes have serious but subtle flaws that include cracked frames, major component incompatibilities and drivetrain wear that will require $300+ overhauls. And that is from what I can see, filtered through decades of mechanical expertise. There is likely really bad stuff I cannot make out from deliberately fuzzy photos and obtuse language.

If you going into this cold, without expert advice as to function and fit, there is a good chance that you'll buy and then have to discard 3 bikes or more until you get enough knowledge to pick something that sort of works. You need a bike shop on this one, and the willingness to pay for their expertise, and then the pocket to buy a new bike.
Likes For Dave Mayer: