Old 03-21-23, 02:01 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5035 Post(s)
Liked 8,235 Times in 3,893 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
The UDH came out in 2019. That means the product life cycle for the new system they want you to buy might only be 3-4 years as well before you have to change again and possibly have to buy an all new frame/bike. The UDH was/is there to possibly save the RD during a crash. You've eliminated that, so back to damaging an RD. You also have to disgard your current bike if it's a 2018 or older. All of that is a middle finger to me. They did make the RD modular, so must be expecting it to wear parts/get damaged on a regular basis. I guess that's better than the whole RD each time. Like I said I have no dog in the fight. We'll see how it goes.
A long-term test video I watched discussed multiple built-in contingencies for damage protection from front and side impacts. They also demonstrated being able to stand on the rear derailleur without damaging it.

I'm not a fan of the idea that a frame has to be built exclusively for this design, and eliminates the ability to use other drivetrains. That seems to be the case, but maybe I'm wrong, or the manufacturers can make their frames adaptable.