Thread: Sturmey Archer?
View Single Post
Old 07-16-20, 02:47 PM
kirby999

Bikes: Electra Fat Tire ,Specialized Rockhopper, Hardrock.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 2,217 Times in 749 Posts
After reading through this thread , I got out my two speed kickback wheelsets to give them another try .
I ordered these a couple of years ago .
I was disappointed right off in them as I expected Sturmey Archer and received KT2 hubs . After a little research , I read that KT makes some of Shimano hubs . That made me feel a little better .
I mounted one set up On my Electra C1 and gave It a test ride . It was so odd , Something , I hadn’t experienced before . The way it shifted , I couldn’t get use to it and pulled them and stored them away . I thought , no way would I ever get use to the way it felt .
Today , I got out a set , mounted some Maxxis Hookworms 26x2.5” tires and put them back on one of my Electra C1’s .
This time , I have a front brake on my C1 .
I’m glad I gave them another try . As long as I remember to not pedal backwards Until I want to shift , I have no probLem riding my C1 with the two speed . It works great .
It gives me a cruising gear like a low geared single speed , but a second speed for a little more downhill speed . I just have to plan my shifts .
You have to think while riding , something that’s not necessary when riding single speed . You do lose a little something with the 2 speed , but gain a little something too .
I’m keeping a two speed on my C1 for now and will be riding it some more getting use to it .
So, don’t be too quick to give up on the two speed hubs . Just takes a little getting use too .
The silver looks good on the Matt Bark .

Last edited by kirby999; 07-24-20 at 04:33 PM.