Old 05-04-17, 02:52 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
There are two boys down the street from me who are always out riding their bikes. They're about 6, I'd guess. They don't wear helmets and have no fear or inhibitions. A few months ago, I noticed one had a flat tire, so I bought a tube and replaced it.

About a month ago, I was installing the tow hitch on my wife's new CR-V, and they recently decided to come over and strike up a friendship. (I wasn't really in the mood as I was once-again having a harder time installing the hitch that I had anticipated and hit my head more times than I would have liked, but I digress.) They saw the bikes in the garage and started asking questions. They are quite infatuated with my wife's mountain bike, and ask to ride it every time they come over. I then explain each time that it is too big for them and I cannot lower the saddle enough.

Now they routinely come over and ring the bell to see if I can come out to play with them. If I'm out riding and see them, I'll ride around with them for a few minutes.

I had to buy another tube to fix another flat on Monday, which then turned into me fixing the bikes of 5 or 6 kids on the street. They again asked to ride my wife's bike and asked how her races went - they ask me the same questions over and over again, but seemed to remember that she was away at collegiate nationals.

Anyway, my wife came back yesterday after being gone for about 10 days for travel and as she was unpacking the car, the two boys rolled up, and the more vocal one asked: "He know you're here?"

She responded. "Yeah, I live here."

"Oh ok." And then he rolled away.

When my wife told me the story, it was pretty damn funny. I'm not sure I've really been able to convey the humor of the situation through this story though.