View Single Post
Old 12-04-18, 01:50 AM
physdl

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm (so far) the only person who voted Yes, always. To be fair, it's just been a week since I started, but I don't see myself stopping or going back to a regular bike anytime soon. I bought a "hot-rodded" Bafang BBS02 mid-drive for my bike which can generate around 1200W. It's amazing and it's honestly the only reason I can commute by bike. Why?

I used to commute 3ish times per week, 10.5 miles each way. But I live near Seattle and there is no way I can avoid hills. My commute used to take me, at best, 1 hour of pedal time, plus another 10 minutes or so stopped at traffic lights. It also left me exhausted every time since I had steep hills on both sides. I probably stuck with it for 1.5 years or so until life got in the way, I tried restarting a number of times, but each time I'd have to start very slowly and build things back up - until something else happened in life to interfere.

Now, I have a toddler and an infant at home, and I don't have time to take take over an hour each way and be exhausted when I get there. The e-bike is the fastest and most reliable way I can commute right now - almost as fast as a car (if not faster on some days) and without the poor reliability of bus transfers. It takes me 40-45 minutes door-to-door and I still get a good 35 minutes of exercise each way. I keep the assist level as low as possible, and only use the throttle (while still pedaling) to beat traffic lights or climb hills.

So if you think e-bikes are cheating, then so is a short commute or a flat commute. Because that's effectively what the e-bike gives me.