Old 04-15-20, 11:48 AM
Dk20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Repair vintage Trek or buy new?

Hi all,

New here. I have a women's Trek Multi-track 720 bike from the late 80s that needs much repair. The frame is in excellent condition, however, it needs lots of replacements/repairs (tires/tubes, cable housing is rusting, new kick stand, pedal assembly replacement, tune up, and more. Took it to the Trek shop that they are telling me $315 for the overhaul. The bike hasn't been ridden in about 10 years. Bike was mainly used down the shore and around our local neighborhoods. I always felt the bike was a bit tall for my 5'4" frame and when stopping, I have to lean it over a bit for foot on ground, though it was/is duable.

I don't know much about bikes other than what I've read over the last few days, and am surprised at what new bikes costs these days. I'm guessing we paid $300ish for my Trek (I suppose that was a lot back then too). I'm not sure if it's worth fixing or getting a new bike. Is this vintage bike a good one...worth keeping? I was looking at the Verve 3 or Dual Sport 2 or 3 as a potential replacement for around $750, or if you have other suggestions. I ride mostly on the road, though sometimes through flat park trails. I like the uprightness of the mentioned bikes, but, it's not a deal breaker. Riding will start out slow...5 miles...and increase to 10-15-20 miles as I get used to riding again, and my butt obliges. I'm in average shape (do yoga, walk, hike), and am 60 if that matters, though looking to incorporate the biking.

If I'm leaving out pertinent info, let me know. Anyway, your thoughts on repair or buy new (btw, I can afford new). Thanks for your replies. I want to make a decision asap.

Last edited by Dk20; 04-15-20 at 11:57 AM.