View Single Post
Old 04-27-21, 12:26 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked 4,993 Times in 1,778 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
You are all champs to me.

Anyway, today is King's Day in Holland, a national holiday. The weather was fine, and with the country still mostly locked down, there weren't too many options. So everyone with a boat, a bicycle, a convertible or a motorcycle was out today.

As were we. For a longer ride, so our most comfy bikes came along: the Méral and the Roy Thame:

Always fun, a DIY ferry. You have to winch yourself across:

Restaurants are still closed, so we had to bring our own lunch. Smoked chicken and mayonnaise rolls, a hard-boiled egg and a piece of Camembert. And since it is the King's birthday, a toast was in order, with a glass of rather excellent German Sekt:

Next up, bicycle bridge across the Amsterdam-Rhine canal, the major waterway connecting the Rhine with the IJsselmeer:

No small boats in this canal (you can, but you'll probably only try that once), but on the smaller rivers and canals they were out in force:

Which meant long waiting times at some of the bridges. And yes, there's a similar crowd with cars and bikes waiting on the other side:

No festivities this year because of COVID, but a flag is a must:

A grand day was had by all:
Totally love the pics, reminds me of days gone by when I lived in Germany for a couple of years and used to ride for miles along the Rhine. Loved the biking infrastructure there even in the 80's. Spent more time using the bike than my car it was so practical and well supported.