Thread: I stink
View Single Post
Old 11-23-21, 08:34 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I'm infamous in my group for sweating heavily on the hot/humid days we get here in the Midwest. Over the years, I've learned to key to minimizing stink is to minimize the time cycling stuff is damp.

1. Wash your clothes immediately after getting off the bike. When I get back from a ride, I immediately strip and run a small load of just the cycling stuff and whatever else is in the hamper. I wash all cycling clothes in mesh laundry bags to prevent damage to the delicate fabrics, this makes them last much longer.
2. Hang dry all bike clothes. Tumble drying is both damaging and "locks in" the stink in my experience. Set up a folding drying rack somewhere. After washing, I keep all of my cycling clothes hanging on a standing rack with plenty of ventilation, i don't put them in drawers/containers or whatever.
3. Helmets reek. Wash out your helmet after each ride and quickly dry the pads and straps. Hang the helmet up on the rack so it can dry out completely.
4. Buy a $20 boot dryer and dry out your shoes with it after each ride. These work really well.
5. Gloves stink. Get washable gloves without Velcro (Velcro destroys Lycra), throw them in the wash with your clothes and hang dry them.
6. If your clothes start to stink, get a bucket and some "cleaning strength" vinegar. Soak the clothes overnight in diluted (1:15) vinegar and water with a little dish soap. Rinse the clothes out well and then wash them normally. This can help a great deal.

Last edited by Hiro11; 11-23-21 at 08:37 AM.
Likes For Hiro11: