Old 04-13-22, 01:46 AM
tajimirich

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Can you guys tell me more about a frame I'm looking at buying? ('89 Shogun Ninja)

Hey all
Budget rider here, for now at least... I'm riding a Giant Contend 2 which was the cheapest road bike that met my basic requirements, I'm extremely happy with it but I'm just not entirely sure it's right for me.

I'm a powerful rider, in some way i couldn't possibly quantify - heavy and with rugby gene shaped leg muscles (i try to use gears responsibly to compensate), and the aluminium frame seems to struggle with that; it warps a lot and the chain is forever kissing the front derailleur when i pedal, etc.

I used to have a converted single speed steel bike - nothing too special, but lugged and possibly butted - and in general i have decided that I'd rather have a nice, springy, solid and well built steel frame bike than my aluminium Giant. I like the idea of piecing together something that would have been top of the line, or on Le Tour, in the 80s.

Anyway, enough background, I've decided to start on a frankenbike, but i live in Japan and I've found it impossible to locate a good, butted, lugged steel frame bike in my size (I'm 183cm/6ft). So I've been looking at gumtree back home in Australia for a butted and lugged frame. At first i was looking for a Reynolds 531, but a user whose name i will edit into this thread asap advised me that not only were some tubesets better than 531s, a lot of those sets were Japanese!

Well, no luck at first because of my height, but funnily enough I've found a frame on Australia's gumtree for a "Shogun Ninja", using "Tange Prestige" pipes. I'm not sure of the year, so I'm not sure if it's a Japanese model or Taiwanese, and i just want to have a chat about the beast here and maybe receive a tier rating of the frame, and some suggestions on fitting it out?

I'd love it if someone could give me a history lesson on the Ninja and the other Shogun tiers...

Thanks a million!

The attached photos are screenshots of the listing, pardon the poor quality.

Coming off wanting a 531, I'm kind of put off by the lack of an obvious brand sticker for the "tenge prestige" pipes under the seat.. maybe I'm just ignorant

Too blurry, alas, I've asked for a better shot..

It looks pretty great, looks pretty modern in black, makes me worry it's a later Taiwan build?

Sure you guys will know what this signifies...

Last edited by tajimirich; 04-13-22 at 03:37 AM.