Old 04-13-22, 05:05 AM
tajimirich

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg
tajimirich 57 is most likely the top tube length - 57cm center to center.

A more critical dimension is the stand over height. Lying on the ground writhing in exquisite pain is not something most folks look forward to.

This is an old Schwinn bike fitting guide. You should be able to straddle the top tube without making contact with your "personal area' should you have to come to an emergency stop.

The "Proper Rider Adjustment" is not that important when selecting a proper fitting frame. Stand Over Height is.

The way we used to do the initial fitting to determine the best frame size was to have the customer place a 1" x 1' round object between their legs with at least 1" clearance under the contact point. Then we measured the height from the floor to the top of the object. Another way was to have them stand over several different size bikes.

Back then, lower priced bikes only came in a limited offering of sizes: i.e. 54cm, 58cm, 62cm.

Too small a frame size by an inch or so is better than too big.

As far as CraigsList/eBay listings - "fits people 5'8" to 6'2" is just plain STUPID! There IS NO AVERAGE!

I used to be 5'11" with a 29" inseam - short legs long torso. Now I'm 5'9" with a 28" inseam. A 55cm frame is the sweet spot for me but some fools or experts who apparently have no understanding of human anatomy would say a 60cm would fit me!

Hope this helps.

verktyg
Hi mate

Thanks very much for this very informative post.

I can confirm that i can achieve these stances and positions. I tend to pedal on the balls of my feet so my seat is a tad higher, but yeah the rest works fine.

I would love to hear some opinions on the actual frame haha