Old 08-16-22, 02:47 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6976 Post(s)
Liked 10,975 Times in 4,695 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
This x1000.

I can understand the cleaner cockpit less tech riders wanting the benefit without a GPS. But IMO it's pretty much mandatory to be of true use.

The reason is, the visual provides you a safety decision making point of "bail/look". If you see a vehicle approaching super fast, either they didn't see you or they DGAF about you. So you have a split second to check your mirror and decide to bail or not. With just audible, you have no idea.

If a car does see you, you will see it slow approach and then "sit" in behind you waiting to pass safely. If it doesn't or doesn't care it will progress at full speed.

It's not a replacement for a mirror, but additional.

I wish the Varia would upgrade to provide a signal if/when a vehicle is directly behind versus a few feet over. Like laser or something.
Additionally, the screen will show if there are two or even three cars coming up on you, and their relative positions. This is particularly valuable, as I've noticed that sometimes, after a vehicle passes me, I relax and drift a bit back into the traffic lane -- only to be surprised by another vehicle. The Varia prevents that.

So, yeah, I agree with others who've recommended that you really, really, really need a compatible computer to get the Varia's full benefit.
Likes For Koyote: