View Single Post
Old 05-21-21, 03:02 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4521 Post(s)
Liked 6,415 Times in 3,692 Posts
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs
I thought so too - lots to learn off that board!

Today I did a tough 38 miler, 4000 ft climbing, riding from the community center in Greenwood, Virginia and working my way up to the Blue Ridge Parkway. My route took me up to the community of Afton and through the Blue Ridge Tunnel. I felt like I was climbing most of the day and I robbed myself of a big descent reward by choosing to get home on Jarman Gap road which is a very steep (long stretches 12-15%) on very dodgy freshly laid gravel.

This is Dick Woods Rd, looking up toward Rockfish Gap (little notch to the right of the tree. Elevation about 750 ft and 1850 ft up there, although once up there I chose to ride a parallel road along the Parkway, at cost of an extra 500 feet of climbing, to avoid an out and back loop.

Entrance to the tunnel. Hot day today. so this was a nice cool off, not to mention a nice stretch of flat road.

Inside tunnel, still backlit from the entrance. You an see the exit in the distance, just under 1 mile.

Dark and spooky now

Picnic spot, Swannanoa Rd, runs parallel to the Blue Ridge Parkway, just on the other side of those trees.

Parkway overlook of Rockfish Valley, looking back down toward where the first pic was taken.

Worlds Collide! Getting on Jarman Gap road requires a short bit of riding on hiking trail off Skyline Drive. This intersects with the AT.

Dusty and tired but looking good!
Good to see the Cycliq's in use, I was an early adopter and have had pretty good luck with them, just bought the new one's, still waiting on the tailight. Not overly impressed but they do work so...