Old 10-14-21, 01:20 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
I agree with Paul.

How about just a little a common sense? You should look in your mirror and then left over your shoulder before opening the door. I do it every time I open the door when I park on the street. Which has nothing to do with which hand you use to open the door.

How about...How Having a Brain and Using your Side Mirror Could Save Lives? Or as a cyclist...just swing wide when approaching a parked car.
I don't frequently parallel park in high traffic areas, but as a driver, I think it is pretty natural to check for traffic before opening the door. Perhaps one concentrates on cars and not bicycles.

In fact, it may well be safer to check the mirror rather than turning the body so the mirror can't be seen.

Unfortunately passengers usually aren't equipped with rear mirrors.

Some new vehicles are equipping rear seats with TV screens. Perhaps one could add a rear camera view to a rear passenger TV screen. When the car is stopped, activate the TV screen.

Heck, with the age of smart accessories, a TV screen should be able to recognize a parallel parking situation.

At the same time, smart door locks could be designed to prevent opening a door into traffic.