View Single Post
Old 08-22-21, 04:07 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10445 Post(s)
Liked 11,930 Times in 6,105 Posts
I spent an hour or so last evening on a 1982 Lotus Classique I'd gotten a month or so ago. It was in fantastic condition when I got it, basically ridden very little in it's 40 year life and stored inside all that time. I tore it down, and rebuilt it, but I was never really satisfied with it. The drivetrain was loud, the shifting was lousy - every gear required overshifting and backing off, and the jumps between the cogs on the 13-32 6-speed cassette were too big.

I wanted to give it a fair chance, so I went through it again. Tightened ONE spoke on the rear wheel that was causing brake rub. Tightened the cones on the rear hub as well. Re-centered the brakes, and adjusted the cable tension. Remembered I had a spare wheel with a 13-26 Uniglide cassette, AND I'd gotten a new SRAM 8-speed chain. So I put those two bits on, cutting the chain a little shorter to match the smaller largest cog. Adjusted the limit screws. The drivetrain is damn near silent now. The shifting is also almost silent and instantaneous, and no longer requires overshifting.

I took the bike out for a planned 30 miles that expanded into 45 because the bike just felt SO MUCH BETTER! It's my slowest bike, but it was a joy to ride! It's really amazing what a bit of care and attention can do.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey: