View Single Post
Old 06-03-22, 09:19 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Great Philosophy with just one problem. You don't need Snap On quality tools to work on bikes, simple as that. If you have money to burn and don't care about how much you want to spend on anything, then buy Snap On quality tools to work on a bike, but if you buy Pedros tools or some such thing, they'll last you the rest of your life.

However, I suggest to people all the time, no matter if they want to dink on a car, house, bicycles, etc, only buy the tool you need when you need it, don't by a tool set because you'll likely get tools you could already have, and you'll get tools you may never use.

Same idea with a bike stand, you don't need pro quality bike stand, if you don't have a bike shop and are not wrenching on 15 bikes a day, and you are only wrenching on your bikes, which means you are infrequently working on a bike, I know, because I have 7 bikes, and I probably will wrench on one of them maybe once a year, my bikes don't break down, and I doubt your bikes are breaking down much. Heck most stuff I do I don't even need to use the stand!! In fact, it's been about 4 or 5 years since I last used my stand. Now I will be using it this summer because I'm working on transferring components off of my wrecked 85 Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, and will be putting them on an 87 Dawes Touring frame and fork, so I'll need the stand more than I've used it in the last 10 or so years! So, do I need a $400 dollar stand? No, and most of you don't either if you sit down and think about it a bit.

Buy high quality if you use something every day, otherwise save yourself some money. Heck for about 30 years or so I wrenched on my own bikes without a stand whatsoever! I could do it again if I had to since I rarely use the stand anyways.

Just an opinion, not meant to start a flame war, you have to do what you think you need to do, the same reason why a person who never races, or competes in any fashion will buy a $15,000 bike, because they want it, not because they need it. And banks like that sort of mentality, its why credit cards are huge so people can buy stuff they want and not need.