Old 09-16-15, 09:58 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by bigredkevbot
Could be the stretch/spacing on the cassette/freewheel/cogs. It could also be an indexing issue (rear mech cable tension). I would loosen your cable maybe a quarter (1/4) to a half (1/2) turn and see if that resolves the issue. How long were you running a stretched chain? If it was the rear cogs/gearing it will likely wear out your new chain very quickly.
It's the first time I've ridden the bike in over 15 years. (Pertinent thread here: http://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/...-thoughts.html
I never replaced the chain when I was originally riding it in the 90's (because I was a kid in middle/high school and didn't know such a thing), and I don't feel like it was ridden enough to wear down the cassette that badly. But, I mean, anything is possible.
This past weekend I put on the new chain, after cleaning the hell out of the entire drivetrain. I did not adjust the cables or the derailleurs though because they still shift perfectly and also I don't know how. The cables need to be replaced since they are original but I'm mostly still shaking the jitters out of the bike before doing too much overhaul.

I will take a few pics of the cassette teeth before I commute home and post them here for y'all to take a look at.

Thanks everyone.