Thread: Knee Pain
View Single Post
Old 09-20-22, 05:23 AM
Dino_Sore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 38 Posts
I am 65 and have severe osteoarthritis in both knees. I have been cycling for decades and rarely have had any pain in my knees. My old doctor used to look at my x-rays and comment on how he cannot understand how I am not in constant agony. I have always believed that my cycling was my physical therapy and kept me pain free.

Late last year, I tore some meniscus in my right knee. I had pain and swelling and a bad limp. Fortunately, six weeks of physical therapy worked wonders and I was quickly back on the bike. I'm still struggling a little bit with mountain biking, but road and gravel cycling are fine.

My orthopedic doctor retired, and I recently saw a new doctor. My right knee is much better, but not 100%. I was told I have too much arthritis to consider arthroscopic surgery. When I told the new doc that I am currently riding 2 to 3 hours (or more) without pain, his advice was to ride my bike as much as possible (along with a few other exercises). He said biking is the best thing I can do for my knees.

The advice I would give you is to see another orthopedist, preferably one in the sports medicine arena. Hopefully, you can get some short-term pain relief from physical therapy (if a surgical repair of the meniscus is not possible). I would push back on the TKR until you are certain that it is your last option.

Last edited by Dino_Sore; 09-20-22 at 09:09 AM.
Likes For Dino_Sore: