Old 11-07-22, 11:25 PM
Kevinti

Bikes: Time VXS Translink, State Bicycle Black Label V2 Single, Electra Beach Cruiser, Santana Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by IPassGas
Your pics are interesting. Below is a pic of our older (1992) Noventa Santana (MN 909, hard to read). The cables have not cut into the frame significantly after all the many years of tours. We run a 3x8 with a 20" low gear, which has seen the Appalachians and Rockies many times. I would not go higher when packing with camping gear on tour. The Arai is great for loaded touring, but if your staying with those light wheels for just days rides, you may consider the extra weight of the Arai not so helpful.

Which lathe is that in the background? I use and have access to lathes, mills, etc, but not mine. Is that yours? If so, I'm a bit envious!
That's a 1941 Southbend 16" Toolroom lathe. I've had it a few years and refurbished it over a 13 month period. It was ordered for Raritan Arsenal in New Jersey but was re-routed to Pearl Harbor after it was bombed to help with the re-building. The Navy modernized their toolrooms around 1970 and auctioned off a bunch of machines. I got it from the son of the citizen buyer who had a repair business. I live in a place where industrial machines are almost non-existant and thus referred to as "machine deserts". I was extremely lucky to get this, something I always wanted, out here. My 12 year quest for a vertical knee mill to accompany it has has gone nowhere! I can't see where you are from while I type this reply but I'll bet you have access to thousands of used good machines within a 1/2 a day drive, not the same for me.

It looks like from your picture that Santana started rethinking the cable routing and chamfered the entry and exits for the cables if I am seeing your picture clearly. I do not want to dig into the frame too much during my ownership so I will need to put some thought here. I've read there are "coated" cables. I am not familiar with these though. Maybe that is a solution for me or maybe I need to find some small bore teflon tubing to try and line the holes? IDK but I am open to suggestions.

EDIT: Oh gosh you're in Pittsburgh? I am the jealous one, as far as outfitting a home machine shop goes!

Last edited by Kevinti; 11-08-22 at 10:08 AM.