View Single Post
Old 01-03-22, 05:47 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by bicycle126312
I have a bike with 30 - 622 or 700 X 30C tires on it. The bike has fenders that sit close to the tires.

The problem is, that winter tires seem to have some more geometry on them and "expand" a bit more due to the grooves, etc. on the tire itself, compared to slicks, at least. This might make them touch the inside of the fenders.

I was told that I should use "28 inch tires on it instead", so that the tires don't touch the inside of the fenders. However, this doesn't make any sense to me. 28 inches, for what?

As far as I understand it:

30 - 622 means 30 mm tire width, 622 mm inner tire diameter.
700 X 30C means 700 mm tire diameter, 30 mm tire width, "C" is the width of the rim on a scale from A to D.

So if anything, I should perhaps reduce the width of the tire somewhat, and hope that it then has a slightly lower outermost diameter?

What should I go for? Would 28 mm seem like a good bet?
Remember that you don't just need to fit the tires inside the fenders -- you need to fit the snow and slush that the tires are going to pick up.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott: