View Single Post
Old 09-18-19, 09:45 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,145 Posts
Originally Posted by robow
That frame would fit me well but I have to agree, not sure I would want to have to deal with that rear drop out. One question I would have for Tourist in MSN, do you feel there is much flex in the bottom bracket area when you stand up on the pedals and apply a lot of torque ? I presently own a titanium touring bike that I built up years ago, and that is one of the only drawbacks as far as I'm concerned. Mine is somewhat over built in the bottom bracket area and you still get a touch more flex than I would like.
I am in my mid 60s and have bad knees. I have not stood on the pedals for almost a decade. There were too manytimes when I was standing on the pedals to climb a hill and suddenly sharp pain in the knee. Instead I gear down and stay in the saddle.

So, no I have not applied high torque to the bottom bracket area. But, I have not had any reason to suspect flex in that area, especially when you look at how massive the downtube is where it is welded to the bottom bracket shell.

Also, the seattube is a larger diameter than most other bikes, so that extra diameter makes it a bit stiffer. I do not recall the diameter, but I do recall that I needed a large clamp on the front derailleur.

I do not have a good photo of the bottom bracket area, in this photo it is hidden behind the crankset, but you can see how big the tubes are.

Paul posted a few photos of his Backroad build too.
https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...ackroad-2.html

I might take my bike out and shoot a photo of the bottom bracket area if you are seriously considering it.