Old 09-03-20, 06:04 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Why even consider a 1x, A 42/28 double gives you so much better range. The shimano grx or whatever it is seems like a great option , but you'll have to research the details.
Mechanical discs work rather well, certainly the popular ones do that are tried and true, spyre, old school bb7s.

just be wary of thinking that a 1x is the bees knees.
also as a roadie be wary of your expectations of what is needed for a low gear.
Thanks for your feedback. On this side of the continent I don't think I would ever encounter anything I would need a 28 cog. My wheels are 29er with 42mm sawtooth tires and a 51x10 12 speed. If I were to venture to the Rockies I am sure more gearing would be a must. I have not encountered a hill out here that I have not been able to climb with a 34-50 and a 11x32 cassette.(on pavement) I do see you point though about the extra weight and will surly rethink my gearing. Plus a 11 speed road crank looks much nicer than the 1x.

Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
Hydraulic brakes are the cat's pyjamas, really. I expect there have been some improvements since I was using Avid BB5s, but my experience switching to some mediocre hydraulic brakes (Hayes Stroker Trail) then good hydraulic (Shimano SLX) was that hydraulics are far superior. They may be more complicated to maintain and service than cables, but hydraulic systems are less likely to require repair or maintenance (in my experience).
I am trying to keep the mechanics as simple as possible. I have even heard of hydro brake issues after extended periods of being unused. There will be times I will be at least a day away from anywhere. I found a set of spyre-c calipers new on marketplace for $100 CDN and ordered a set of TRP classic levers. I will probably use Shimano bar end shifters.

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I think you will find most people that do much touring want a wider range of gearing than you can find on most 1X systems. My derailleur touring bikes have triples.
I am rethinking this one for sure. On your bikes with triples, what cassette gearing are you using? I can return the 12 speed one I bought and get a 10 speed. Then I could use a derailleur I already own. (105 med cage or XT long cage)