View Single Post
Old 03-28-22, 07:47 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
I totally agree with sloppy12. You want to carry panniers, medium load, live is a mountainous place so need low gearing... LHT fits the bill. What you might do is to keep checking ad sites (Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, etc.) and be patient. If a LHT doesn't show up, and you want to consider other models, research the ones that you find in your searches as you go. "The One" will show up soon.

Obviously there is a lot of free information on the Internet. You could also purchase a very good all inclusive guide here:
https://www.cyclingabout.com/touring...-buyers-guide/

My rim brake LHT was stolen during the height of the pandemic. I ended up replacing it with a new 2022 Fuji Touring, which has mechanical disc brakes - retail $1399 I paid $1230 OTD.

Edit: You mentioned the possibility of using a "road bike." Some would work OK, some would be totally inappropriate. Chain stay length, tire clearance, and frame stiffness are at issue, as well as rack mount points. I think that a good starting point is to look for a bike that comes with at least 32c tires and rack mounts. Many older MTB's and some hybrids would work. A gravel bike would also be a pretty good option especially if you want to do some off road touring.

Originally Posted by sloppy12
I think I will break with the norm. it sounds like you want a LHT just buy one. They are great touring bikes, commuters, and good casual riders. older kona sutras(what I have) also great, trek 520 also worth a look.

I would get a touring bike I would not even consider a road bike, skip the $2k 1x LHT get one with a triple(personally I would get a disk trucker). Used market might be pretty weak right now and over priced. seems like you are already kinda looking at 1-2k range there are new options in that range.

If for some reason you have a shoe string budget the "90's MTB" is a OK option just make sure it has a way to mount the racks. I would just keep in mind MTB's and hybrids while they will work it usually requires more from the end user.

Last edited by timdow; 03-28-22 at 07:56 AM.