View Single Post
Old 03-28-22, 10:17 AM
greatbasin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
An older road bike works well, maybe even a much older one. I did the southern Tier on my 1990 Cannondale Crit bike and have done other tours on various light setups. The gearing tends to be a bit high so you may need to so something about that....
Using an older road bike appeals to me, but the more I looked into this, the more I found badly suited gearing. The Southern Tier is pretty flat. Where I live (Eastern Sierra) is incredibly steep. While I don't plan on touring only over especially steep passes, I'd hate to lock myself out of my own backyard. So for example, I was looking at a 12 year-old Roubaix with Ultegra and Dura Ace components - attractive at ~$400. Even though it was a triple, the lowest gear would have given more than 30 gear inches. Never mind trying to mount anything to carbon fiber, I would have to toss the Dura Ace and start over. The problem with some upper-end 80's and 90's steel road bikes I've found is similar. They're 2-by at best and the cassettes are much too small.

Originally Posted by staehpj1
It is pretty unclear what your gear weight will be since you include 1o days of food in the weight you listed.How much of that 55 pounds was food? On tour, I'd suggest carrying almost no food. Buy food daily as close to where you consume it as possible.
My backpack for 10 days unsupported is 55 liters, 40 pounds. Half of that is food, and another 8 pounds is water. I only gave that as an estimate of the greatest amount of weight I can imagine touring with. I don't know the weight of the panniers themselves, but most likely I would be putting 25 pounds of cargo on the bike including food and water and needing a minimum of 30L of volume plus a foam sleeping pad (outside the panniers). I want more than 30L capacity so I can access items easily, so even having 60L capacity and half empty panniers sounds great.

Originally Posted by sloppy12
I think I will break with the norm. it sounds like you want a LHT just buy one. They are great touring bikes, commuters, and good casual riders. older kona sutras(what I have) also great, trek 520 also worth a look.
I've got my eye out for one in my size, but I'm considering other options like the Kona. At the moment I only see a women's Sutra that's too small being available. There's a Fuji Disc Touring bike about 5 hours away, my size but bare bones and not cheap. I think it would get close to $2K after I bought everything to make it ready to tour. There's another LHT about the same distance that's $200 cheaper but also no racks, no panniers, and would need new seat and grips and other minor stuff. Neither deal makes me anxious to drive 10 hours round-trip without seeing what else comes up first.

Originally Posted by sloppy12
...seems like you are already kinda looking at 1-2k range there are new options in that range.
If I found something in my size with the right frame, gearing, racks, and a complete set of panniers and bar bag in that range, then I'd be motivated to buy new or used.

Originally Posted by timdow
I totally agree with sloppy12. You want to carry panniers, medium load, live is a mountainous place so need low gearing...

My rim brake LHT was stolen during the height of the pandemic. I ended up replacing it with a new 2022 Fuji Touring, which has mechanical disc brakes - retail $1399 I paid $1230 OTD.
What did you pay including racks, four panniers, and handlebar bag? Do you like the Fuji better than the LHT? Like I mentioned, I'm seeing one of each advertised in my size, used, but for not much less than what you paid new. I'd have to buy all the bolt-on's new.