View Single Post
Old 05-19-20, 10:55 PM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 890 Posts
@autonomy suggested Paul Revere Road, and when I looked at the map, I realized that it allowed climbing the Stone Store hill on Mass. Ave. from W to E, without the need to cross Route 128 (a.k.a., I-95) twice. Had to give it a try, so off I went on the Nordavinden, 17 miles across Arlington and Lexington. The route took me from East Arlington to Lexington Center on Mass. Ave., picking up Bedford Street and following that to Hill Street, then riding Hill Street along the margin of the Lexington Golf Club and the Poor Farm (perilously close to Over the Hill to the Poor House, that), crossing Cedar Street to continue on Paul Revere Road, where a final dive-bombing descent got me to Mass. Ave. again, and a hill to climb. Up, over, and down the other side was Worthen Road, and I followed that to Kendall Road, took Kendall to Marrett Road, and down the hill on that back to Mass. Ave. yet again, and down-hill back to East Arlington and home.

Outbound, took a short break at Tower Park, Lexington.

Bedford Street, the Battle Green: funny how you can pass by something hundreds of times, and never quite see it.

A left onto Hill Street, and a very agreeable series of rollers begins.

The Lexington Golf Club appears to be infested with golfers again. Let's hope that doesn't turn out to be self-limiting.

Monumental chainsaw stump sculpture. The little sign says "No Trespassing". Just to whom and for what is the finger being so handsomely displayed?

Poor Farm, a reminder of hard times for some. We're going to need a bigger farm.

Paul Revere Road delivers you to Mass. Ave. with a sharp descent, just in time for the big climb.

The Mass. Ave. overpass across Route 128 is within spitting distance, but we're going E, not W, and pay it no mind. Left turn, up, over, and down the hill!

Worthen Road to Kendall Road to Marrett Road...

Marrett Road to Mass. Ave., and the long, gentle descent back to East Arlington. It's the season (artificially extended) for Arlington Town Politics: let a hundred flowers bloom.

I really like this route! Thank you, @autonomy! I've got an idea for a variation, but that's for another day.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 05-20-20 at 09:49 PM.
Likes For rholland1951: