Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by TerryDi2C
Gorgeous bike indeed!

I have to admit I was surprised to see the RD-RX817 and a front derailleur - Shimano say the RD-RX817 can not be used with a front derailleur ;-)

[edit] so I had a quick look on some Shimano pages and found this:

Still, it clearly works for you, so enjoy ;-)

Thanks for the info. I was a bit concerned about whether it would work too. I did a little bit of searching and couldn't easily find anyone who had tried it. I took a chance and it seemed to work out just fine, well minus the synchronized shifting. Took some time to work through chain length and the b-screw set up but I'm very happy with the result.

RE: GRX 817 vs. XT 8050. In my opinion these are the same derailleurs just with different markings. I don't own an 8050 but I do own an XT M8000 GS cage derailleur on my MTB. When comparing the GRX and the XT side by side they are literally identical in size and shape. Might be an optical illusion but it seems like the GRX 817 can handle more than the 42t max it states. I'm set on the 42t cassette anyway so no need for me to push any bigger. I imagine someone could run an e-13 9-46 cassette with a 1x system just fine.
Likes For Bryan C.: