Old 06-28-13, 11:28 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
Since sharrows are nothing more than a mark indicating that the lane in question is too narrow to share, they make no functional difference to the cyclist. Do you like them because you think they might encourage better behavior from motorists? If so, do you think that improved behavior is confined to the unshareable lanes with sharrow markings, or do you think they make the connection to other lanes of similar widths? Do you think they encourage some cyclists to get out of the gutter?

I don't have a problem with sharrow markings, but they seem a bit like the signs at some intersections reminding motorists to yield to pedestrians in a crosswalk. Aren't people supposed to know these sort of things before they get a license?
I like sharrows because the section of roadway where they are positioned is continually swept clean of debris, and if parked vehicles are present, I've found that motorists are less confrontational when I take the lane than when there is a DBZL present, plus I've also noticed that local motorists are more apt to stay well to the left of the sharrow marking, even though I'm well to the right of the marking.

Added note: Our sharrow markings are centered 11 ft from the curb, with the exception at some intersections where they are positioned, for some unknown reason, at 5 to 6 feet from the curb.

Last edited by dynodonn; 06-29-13 at 07:35 AM.